Friday, 29 January 2010

getting heartily fed up with

companies who don't give a toss about people they interview.

I'm generally a bright-side sort of person, and can't stand the sort of people who use technology as a means to tell everyone how sorry they feel for themselves (e.g. annoying Facebook statuses: "Edna is extremely pissed off with a certain person" - I honestly couldn't care less, get your negativity off my news feed) (incidentally, I don't know anyone called Edna). So I hope you'll forgive me for this brief foray into self pity, and acknowledge that this is a one-off.

So here we go - if rants are not your thing, stop reading now.

Surely you'd think that all adults, at one stage or another, have known that horrid feeling of limbo between having an interview, and waiting to hear whether or not they have got the job. Speaking as someone who is "between jobs", I am currently experiencing this feeling most of the time. You'd think, then, that interviewers would be keen to help their poor nervous interviewees to avoid this purgatorial state, and make it as swift and painless as possible. Like ripping off a plaster. Whether it's a yes or a no, please just let me know quickly.

However, most of the companies I've interviewed for recently seem hell-bent on prolonging this process for as long as possible, just to ensure maximum discomfort. Come on people - this isn't a reality TV show: "And the successful candidate ..... is ................. [wait two weeks] ............ Oh. Not you. Sorry."

Last Friday, I went to an interview at a theatre in London. It's now been seven days and I haven't heard a word from them. They specifically said, "We'll be in touch". So I naively assumed that they would. Isn't that what HR departments are for? But no, apparently they absolutely have no regard for the people, like me, who spend hours writing an application, preparing the perfect interview outfit, forking out for a train fare, and, worst of all, enduring the most unnatural process known to man, The Interview. If there's anything that's guaranteed to bring out a side of you utterly unlike your true self, it's an interview. Companies put all this effort into projecting a good corporate profile, but when it comes down to it, they can't even be bothered to make a quick phonecall, or send a quick email, to let me know that I can breathe out again.

And it's not just those who can't be bothered to get in touch. Earlier this week, I trekked all the way to Slough for in interview - I left the house at 10 am. The interview was at 1:30. It lasted 15 minutes. I got home at 4 pm. That's six uncomfortable, tense hours, only to receive an email the following day (can't fault them on their punctuality) saying that I didn't get the job. So make that six uncomfortable, tense, obsolete hours. To add insult to injury, the rejection email they sent didn't even have a name at the bottom, and was sent from a generic address, so I couldn't even reply and ask for some pointers for next time I masochistically decide to put myself through this joyless experience.

In light of all this, applying for jobs is starting to seem like an utter waste of time and energy. I am qualified, I am keen, I am nice (honestly!) - why won't anyone give me a job, or better still, show me a little bit of respect for bothering to tell them that I like their company so much that I want to join their workforce?!

Well. There you go - self-indulgence at its zenith. More uplifting fare next time, I promise. And - here is the happy bit - today I'm going for lunch at a cafe where they sell glittery rocky road. Amazing!

dsl

x

5 comments:

  1. I know how you feel :( I got a pretty brusque rejection from the place I applied. I'm picking myself up and carrying on though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry to hear that :( Why can't people just be nice?! You're right though, the best thing you can do it dust yourself off and try again. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really hit the nail on the head when you said that interviews are one of the most unnatrual processess, designed to bring out the exact opposite of your true self. I hope something good turns up for you. In the meantime, that glittery rocky road sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm SO with you on this. I 'm freelance and had a panicky few weeks last year when work went spookily quiet. An amazing job opportunity came up so I decided to go for it. I wasn't really properly qualified but miraculously I got an interview. I think this was last May. I am STILL waiting to get an official rejection from the HR lady who interviewed me! Having emailed her 3 times about 2nd interviews I eventually gave up but jeez, I spent WEEKS buying the crappy publication in question. So effing unprofessional! Anyway, you have a job now so well done you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rollergirl! I hope you're getting the recognition you deserve now. Even when I really want to work for a company initially, if they're rude or unprofessional during the recruitment process, I try and console myself by thinking that I don't want to be involved with a company who does that! Let's stick to nice, thoughtful organisations :) x

    ReplyDelete