Monday, 11 January 2010

playing it by ear

Hurrah! This afternoon, I am leaving the village for the first time in longer than I care to remember, to go to London for a rehearsal. I have been stranded in a foot of snow since last Wednesday, and can't wait to escape to civilisation. I am slightly concerned I might not be able to get home tonight, as the trains are notoriously hopeless, but will deal with that if it arises I suppose.

In other news ... well, there is no news. Except that I have given up on Lovely G (hereafter to be known as Flaky G). Not because he has a dandruff problem, but because he is impossible to pin down. I've done the "aloof" thing, so I tried my friend L's "keen" approach, which worked for about 10 minutes. His words were "let's play it by ear" - a phrase which then popped up in an episode of Sex and the City I watched the other day.

It's the one where Miranda goes on a date with a man, doesn't hear back from him, and is candidly told by Carrie's boyfriend that the reason she hasn't heard back is because the date is "just not that into her". Lo and behold, a few days later Miranda receives the forecasted awkward email from her date, saying that he's not in a place where he can pursue a relationship and "let's play it by ear".

Maybe this is some kind of Man Code for "bugger off"? In any case, the promised tea date with Lovely G doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon. I'm moving on. But if he follows me, that would be, well, just Lovely.

dsl

x

4 comments:

  1. Well, London is cold but not snowing so I guess thats something. Hope the rehearsal goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you say:
    "I have given up on Lovely G (hereafter to be known as Flaky G). Not because he has a dandruff problem, but because he is impossible to pin down."

    Haha, brilliant!
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses Sex and the City as a dating reference guide too. :-)

    Kate x
    http://search-for-the-perfect10.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'let's plays it by ear' could be him trying to be aloof..

    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine - thank you, great rehearsal, and I made it there and back in one piece. although I left at 5pm and didn't get home until 1:30am!phew.

    Kate - thanks, I'm glad you like it! when I was snowed in last week I whiled away the days by (re)watching SATC season 6, almost back to back, and afterwards I felt like I'd learnt more than years of dating could possibly teach me! amazing.

    Kitty - that's what I was secretly hoping ... and then a text came in this evening asking for a tea date this weekend! exciting :)

    x

    ReplyDelete