Friday, 26 February 2010

babaganoush, Jeremy Kyle, and swishing

It's been a bit quiet on the dsl front recently. This is not to say that nothing has been going on, because it has. But irritatingly, none of the things that have been going on have yielded any exciting news, despite my best efforts.

I found out this morning that even my old employer at the music shop doesn't want me back, because apparently my "aspirations lie far beyond the shop" and they want people who are in it for the long term. To be fair to them, I probably would have upped sticks as soon as something more appealing came up (err, like I did last time), but still - not the boost I was hoping for. I am still jobless, still single and feel further away from London than ever.

On the bright side, I have been doing some temping over the last couple of weeks, which has been good for both the CV and the bank balance. But what I really really want is something full-time, stable, and arts-related, which the temping is not. Without wanting to sound dramatic, I'm beginning to absolutely despair of my (in)ability to get a job. I wish I had fun and adventurous things to talk about on here! Sorry :(

It took a disproportionate amount of effort to get out of my pyjamas and into the shower today (at 2pm). But the only thing I can do is to keep my chin up and stop feeling sorry for myself, when it could obviously be so much worse in every way. So today, I have cheered myself up by making babaganoush from my absolute FAVOURITE cookbook, Spooning With Rosie by Rosie Lovell. Her book is my new bible. I dip into it like a poetry book, getting little bits of kitchen inspiration each time. I love the way she mixes up her amazing recipes with little tales of her exciting Brixton life! Super.

So anyway, now I'm off to watch Jeremy Kyle and sort out some clothes to take to the swishing party I'm going to on Sunday. Update on man stuff soon.

dsl

x

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for your comment on my blog, I really appreciate it!

    I've just read a couple of your posts and you have no idea how much I can relate - it's like reading my life story! Graduated 2008, went through a break-up, looking to work in the arts, preferably in London, currently living at home and receiving Jobseeker's Allowance - I completely understand your pain!
    I find it so frustrating that even the most basic, entry-level jobs expect you to have a load of experience under your belt, which I just don't have as I've never been in a position were I can afford to do unpaid work. It feels like every job app I do is completely pointless as there will several other applicants with more experience than me.

    It's probably not much of a consolation, but just know there are other people going through the exact same thing as you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm sorry to hear you're in the same position - it sucks! There just seems to be so little support for graduates aspiring to the arts, which is frustrating, because there are a lot of us.

    I know exactly what you mean about applications seeming pointless - it's so disheartening when you spend hours on an application and you have no luck. But I just have to keep telling myself something has to come up! Feeling down about it hasn't got me anywhere.

    In the meantime, I'd really recommend signing up with a temping agency if you haven't already - brilliant for bolstering the CV!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete