Sunday, 7 February 2010

backtracking

After I graduated in Summer 2008, I moved back home, unable to find a job in my university town as I'd planned. This move was soon followed by a hideous break up from my boyfriend of nearly two years - an inevitable, but still enormously painful, development. All in all, it wasn't a very fun time - I felt as if I had moved away from everyone and everything I loved, as well as losing my treasured independance.

Luckily, soon after, I was offered a job by a family friend, at a local music shop. I was more than happy to accept the offer, not only to take my mind off the break up - which continued to affect me for months afterwards - but because it was connected to the arts, which was where I wanted to head career-wise.

After eight months there (and a dalliance with a co-worker, the aforementioned Fit N, which single-handedly got me over my ex), I was offered a three-month internship at a major arts venue in London. I was over the moon, and of course took up the post without giving it a second thought. It was unpaid, but a necessary move.

Now, eight more months, hundreds of job applications, and six interviews later, I'm back at home, jobless and penniless. I had always rejected the idea of going back to the music shop job - not least because I am still embarrassed about having "dipped my nib in the office ink", but because it seems like a massive step back. However, they are always looking for staff, and I'm 99% sure that if I asked for a job there, I could get one.

So I'm torn. Do I go back for a while, keep my head down, and earn several times as much as I'm currently getting on Jobseekers Allowance (which, due to their staggering fecklessness, I am increasingly desperate to come off), or do I hold out for the elusive Perfect Job? Being unemployed is a miserable state of affairs. Should I take any way out that I can - even if it involves backtracking?

dsl

x

1 comment:

  1. I say go back to the Music shop. Its always easier to find a job if you're currently working, it looks better to prospective employers or something.

    ReplyDelete